* NRCPD Registered Qualified Interpreter (RSLI) (Since 1989)
* Fellow of ASLI (Legal services)
* Trainer (Legal Interpreting CPD)
* Mentor (for legal work only)
* UK Registered Expert Witness
* Ministry of Justice Quality Assurance Assessor
Having grown up as the only hearing child of a deaf family, my mother tongue is British Sign Language (BSL). I am a native user of BSL.
I started working and training as an interpreter in 1987 and qualified in 1989. Since then I have been immersed in the interpreting field throughout.
In March 2000, I was awarded a fellowship of the Association of Sign Language Interpreters in recognition of my work within the legal domain. I am also a past Chair of the Association of Sign Language Interpreters (ASLI).
I am a named contributor on The Advocates' Gateway: Toolkit No 11.
As well as being a working interpreter, I am the also one half of the the No. 1 providers of legal interpreting training to BSL Interpreters providing a portfolio of legal CPD training courses under the name of G&B Training.
Although I specialise in all types of legal interpreting assignments, I have over the past 30 years as a qualified interpreter amassed a broad breadth of experience in almost all domains, including
* LEGAL - Court (Crown, Magistrates, County, Family), Police, Solicitors, Child Protection, Tribunals
* BUSINESS - Meetings, Training, Committees, Interviews, Discussion Groups, etc. (at all levels)
* MEDICAL - Hospitals, GPs, Mental Health, Counselling
* PUBLIC SERVICE - Community interpreting (1:1, small groups)
* PLATFORM - Party Political Conferences, Conferences, Seminars, Theatre performances
* EDUCATION - Higher and Further
* TELEVISION - Live and recorded News broadcasts, Public Service Videos (Public Service Information, English - BSL translations).
- Mental Health
- Social Services
- Training Courses
- ASLI Trained Mentor
- Sign Language Translator